Today’s art class was centred around finishing our Fishing Villages.
I was really pleased that I was actually able to complete mine within the 2 hours.
We laid our work out on the floor and it was amazing to see the diversity of our interpretations. The majority of us used restricted palettes and you could see the harmony of the colours really well.
Some people still have their paintings to complete so, we are going to bring all the paintings back again once completed. It will be interesting to see the final results.
I ended up adding Gouache to my painting so, I have posted it under the Mixed Media tab.
I had painted some colour swatches during the week but, still remained undecided as to which colours to use. I decided to ask my art teacher today what she thought. In the end I opted for a 4 colour-triad of Vermilion, Lemon Yellow, Cerulean and Ultramarine.
|Fishing Village (WIP II)
I am optimistic that I will be able to complete this painting during next week’s lesson.
My art teacher has come up with a great idea for a project to really stretch us.
We had to choose a black and white photograph of a fishing village and then decide on the composition we liked to make a painting from.
I choose this scene and cropped it down.
I really wanted to make the boat the focal point of my painting.
|Fishing Village (WIP I)
I have drawn it out onto watercolour paper and now need to decide on what colours, medium and style I am going to paint it in. I’m going to start my colour choice by making colour swatches using only 3 watercolours and then decide on style afterwards.
Today’s lesson was brilliant fun!
We had a play with Transparent Oil Bar and Charcoal. The Oil Bar is exactly what it says on the tin, it’s oil paint in a bar. To get the Oil Bar and Charcoal to blend softly we used white spirit. It’s a really messy media to work with but, the effects you can create are really interesting. I used different implements to create different effects and textures such as: a toothpick, a palette knife, a paint brush and an old rag. I also experimented with putting Charcoal under or over the Oil Bar.
I have posted my experimentations under the Practice Pieces Tab.