This week’s lesson was a subject that I couldn’t wait to try!
We started off by looking at some images that my art teacher brought in on her laptop to give us an idea of how other artists had tackled the subject. It was amazing seeing the way the flame had been painted and the way the light was depicted even if the light source wasn’t visible to the viewer.
We then sat down to have a go for ourselves, I had taken my own candle in as I really like it.
The camera was able to see the halo around the flame better than I could see with a naked eye so, I used this photo as a reference for putting that in.
I have posted my attempt under the Pastel Paintings tab I used Pastel Pencils. I’m really happy with it and I really hope you like it too.
Following on from last week’s practice session, this week’s lesson was to compose our own still life incorporating cloth.
I decided that oranges would look good on the green and white fabric. I also opted for a mixed media painting using Watercolours and Watercolour pencils.
I need to finish it at home and once I have I’ll post it in the Mixed Media Paintings tab.
Today I completed the final lesson of the Derwent Art Academy course.
This time it required the use Oil Pastels and Sgraffito technique to produce a painting.
Size A5 (6″x8″)
I really enjoyed doing this and will definitely use the technique as part of a Mixed Media painting in the future.
Today I completed lesson 5 of the Derwent Art Academy course, it covered watercolour mixing and using the wet-in-wet technique.
The end result was to produce a painting of trees.
I’m not very happy with my painting really, I tried to work in the style of the artist and I found that really difficult. On the bright side though, it was accepted and I am now looking forward to the final lesson!
Following on from last week’s observation lesson, we took a look at different folds in cloth. I didn’t realise they had names!
We had the option of drawing the different folds or to make a study of the cloth we are going to use in our own composition in next week’s still life.
I opted to make a study of the tea towel that I am going to use next week.
Size A3 (16″x12″)
I decided to use Pastel Pencils as I had more control over the more detailed parts of the cloth. I found it really challenging but, thoroughly enjoyable.
It was great being back in class today, there were lots of new faces as well as the more familiar ones.
We started off as we normally do with an observation session. The new starters did mushrooms, whilst the rest of us had clothes hanging from an airer to attempt.
We could use any medium we liked so, I decided on to use Charcoal.
Size A3 (16″x12″)
I’m really pleased with the way this turned out. It was a challenge but, it was one that I thoroughly enjoyed.