Category Archives: Abstract

Project Weeks 3 & 4 – Buttons

After doing 2 tonal drawings I decided it was time to do a large version in colour.

I opted for Acrylics as I have finally got used to using them and now actually like them.  My art teacher agreed with me that a restricted palette was the way to go.  I chose Alizarin Crimson, Quinacridone Magenta, Orange, Black and White.  I decided I wanted to do an abstract piece.

 The painting is posted under the Acrylics Painting tab.


The Penultimate Week Of Term

This week I decided to do 2 pieces of artwork using one of the ideas that my art teacher suggested, the theme was “Roads”.

I really liked the idea of doing 2 different versions.

The the first was an abstract collage, I have never done a collage before and I really enjoyed creating it.

The second version was again an abstract this time I decided to use acrylic paints.

I have posted both under the relevant tab headings.

Abstract Landscape I – Update

Today in class my art teacher helped me work out which elements I’m going to use from my sketches.  I also had a really good play at creating different textures too.  I have made a start on my A3 painting.  I’m going to purchase some modelling medium for acrylics to see what effects I can create with that.  I’m really excited about this painting.  My art teacher says she can see a whole series of these coming from me!!

Abstract Landscape I – Work In Progress

At my art class on 20/01/12 my teacher set the subject Landscape with the options of doing either a traditional painting or an abstract version.  The other criteria set was to use a colour triad (we’re using the 3 primaries red, yellow and blue).  We could use either High Key colours or Low Key colours or a mixture of the two but, only one of each red, yellow or blue.  All the colours we need are to be mixed using just these 3 colours.

I’ve decided to do an abstract painting, and I have also decided that I’m not too keen on the Low Key colours as they are much more subdued where as the High Key colours really appeal to me probably, because they reflect more of my personality.

The paints that I am using are Reeves Acrylics.  The Low Key colours I tried were Brilliant Red (I wanted to use Burnt Sienna but, it was too brown and I couldn’t make a decent orange), Yellow Ochre and Cerulean Blue Hue.  The sketch at the bottom right (as you look at it) is the Low Key colours.

The other 3 sketches are all High Key colours and I’ve chosen to use Crimson, Lemon Yellow and Ultramarine.

The bottom left hand sketch (as you look at it) I was experimenting with textures unfortunately, the camera didn’t pick them up very well.  The purple field I applied the paint thickly with a knife then dabbed with the knife to produce a raised effect.  The lines in the red and green fields above the purple field were achieved by scrapping back with a knife.  The pink field was applied again with a knife and scrapped back in a random fashion to create another different texture.

I’ve still got some more sketches to do before I finally settle on the one that I am going to use to produce a larger finished painting.

I will of course keep you updated with the progress and I will post the finished painting as soon as it’s completed.