This week’s lesson was a subject that I couldn’t wait to try!
We started off by looking at some images that my art teacher brought in on her laptop to give us an idea of how other artists had tackled the subject. It was amazing seeing the way the flame had been painted and the way the light was depicted even if the light source wasn’t visible to the viewer.
We then sat down to have a go for ourselves, I had taken my own candle in as I really like it.
The camera was able to see the halo around the flame better than I could see with a naked eye so, I used this photo as a reference for putting that in.
I have posted my attempt under the Pastel Paintings tab I used Pastel Pencils. I’m really happy with it and I really hope you like it too.
Following on from last week’s observation lesson, we took a look at different folds in cloth. I didn’t realise they had names!
We had the option of drawing the different folds or to make a study of the cloth we are going to use in our own composition in next week’s still life.
I opted to make a study of the tea towel that I am going to use next week.
Size A3 (16″x12″)
I decided to use Pastel Pencils as I had more control over the more detailed parts of the cloth. I found it really challenging but, thoroughly enjoyable.
Today I finally got round to doing my version of a Modigliani.
|Lunia Czechowska (1919)
I really like several of his female portraits but, I finally chose this one to do my version. I really like the way Modigliani depicted her bone structure. He did most of his paintings in oil but for my version I decided to have a go with soft pastels and pastel pencils. I have posted the final painting under the Pastel Paintings tab.
Today, I started another flower painting this time however, I used a totally different approach. Instead of masking out the flowers, I decided to wet the entire sheet of paper and drop random colours all over it and just let them bleed together and mix on the paper. Whilst I was waiting for that to dry I was able to finish my Poppy that I started last week.
Once the background was completely dry I picked out the shapes of Tulips and enhanced them by strengthening the background around them rather than painting the Tulips themselves.
I really loved both techniques and I will definitely use them both in the future.
I have posted both paintings under the Mixed Media Paintings Tabs as once they were both dry I then added some pastel pencil to strengthen and enhance them.